Creating Purposeful Cities
Wednesday, 7 June 2023
17:30 - 21:00
TMF premises, Kateřinská 40, Praha 2 - Nové Město
A talk about sustained quality of life through urban design and architecture with
Pascal Cornips, Partner at Benthem Crouwel Architects, The Netherlands
Tomáš Kozelský, Founding Partner KOGAA Studio, Czech Republic
Moderated by: Alexandra Georgescu, Founding Partner KOGAA Studio, Czech Republic
With kind support of
17:30 - 18:00 Registration
18:00 - 19:00 A Talk by Pascal Cornips, Benthem Crouwel Architects, and Tomáš Kozelský, KOGAA
19:00 - 21:00 Networking
About the event
- Benthem Crouwel Architects is an internationally renowned Dutch architecture practice that has recently won three major architectural competitions in the Czech Republic: Residence Nádraží Žižkov and Olbrachtova district's mixed-use Valley in Prague, as well as Brno's new main train station.
- KOGAA is an award-winning architecture and design studio known for their approach of adaptive reuse with The Distillery – Social Reactor, KUMST, FUTURUM and DADA Distrikt projects as representative examples.
- What kind of city would you like to live in? What should it provide? How can the city contribute to your quality of life in a sustained way that is adaptable to changing demographics, societal and economic trends, as well as communal and individual needs? Consider viable infrastructure and transportation systems, basic services, job opportunities, affordable housing, and leisure and entertainment facilities.
- Currently, over 4.3 billion people, accounting for 55% of the world's population, reside in urban settings, and this number is projected to rise to 80%—close to 9 billion people—by 2050. Moreover, 80% of global GDP is currently generated in cities. Sustainable growth can only be managed through increased productivity and innovation. Green, diverse, inclusive, and resilient, the challenge is daunting.
- Cities were planned and designed decades ago, with their physical form and land use patterns locked in for generations. Are these cities still suitable for their intended purposes, or do they require significant interventions for regeneration through good architecture and urban planning? Furthermore, how can we envision and create resilient city plans that will remain relevant and purposeful for decades?
- On 7 June, leaders in the field of urban architecture, Pascal Cornips from Benthem Crouwel Architects, and Tomas Kozelsky from KOGAA, will visit Prague to engage in discussions with members of NCCC Traders by Nature and other guests. Through examples of their work, they will share their vision and approach to creating livable cities and purposeful urban architecture that stands the test of time.
About Benthem Crouwel Architects
- Driven by innovation, Benthem Crouwel Architect’s work connects, promotes responsibility and is defined by its variety.
- Their aim is to bring societal benefits through every design, offering sensible and surprising buildings as well as simple solutions to complex problems. From tiny houses to almost all major railway stations in the Netherlands, Benthem Crouwel Architects strive to achieve a balance between economic, social, and ecological interests, with a particular focus on innovation and sustainability.
Pascal Cornips, Partner at Benthem Crouwel Architects
- Pascal graduated with honours in Architecture from the Faculty of Architecture at the Delft University of Technology in 2007. He joined Benthem Crouwel Architects in 2007 and became a partner in2017.
- During his years at Benthem Crouwel Architects, Pascal worked on a variety of projects: Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Data centre AM3, RAI Amsterdam, Ziggo Dome and the head office for ING Bank.
- Pascal's emphasis is always on fostering collaboration, engaging in dialogue, and analyzing key questions to translate them in towell-designed spatial solutions.
- Founded in 2015 by Tomas Kozelsky, Alexandra Georgescu, and Viktor Odstrčilík, KOGAA has offices in Prague and Brno, Czech Republic.
- KOGAA is a DESIGN VANGUARD 2021 Winner, 2020 Emerging Practice longlisted by DEZEEN AWARDS, and 2019 RIBA lecturer on the topic of alternative approaches to development. The same year KOGAA won the main prize for workspace design at the BIG SEE awards for their Distillery project, and in 2018 they were chosen as the top ten emerging architecture practices by Archipreneur magazine.
- Committed to creating meaningful contributions to the built environment, KOGAA undertakes projects that have a positive impact on users, communities, and the local context. Their practice focuses on repurposing inactive structures and transforming them into functional alternatives.
Tomáš Kozelský, Founding Partner KOGAA Studio
- Tomáš Kozelský is a visionary thinker by nature.
- He oversees the design solutions for each project, ensuring they align with KOGAA's vision, the client's needs, and contribute to the architectural landscape.
- Tomáš has a keen interest in, and knowledge of re-use of Industrial facilities; a specialization that is further developed by pursuing a Ph.D. at Brno Faculty of Architecture, where he teaches the new generation of young architects.